Wednesday 29 February 2012

Who, In This Day & Age, Can We Really Trust?


‘All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.’ Ralph Waldo Emerson
I recently read an interesting treatise written by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer called The Shift, where he discusses the transition from ambition to meaning.
As part of the discussion he draws his readers attention to his discovery that mankind is a spiritual being that spends a portion of his or her eternity in a physical form. He also explains how through the force of our ego – particularly in our ambitious years – we tend to ‘Edge God Out’.
But then there comes our ‘bump in the road’. His was a heart attack, and a painful separation from his wife among other things, where all of a sudden his ‘secure’ egocentric world started to fall apart.
From here he began the process of understanding the importance of knowing, and pursuing the meaning of his life.

My Discovery

Since a child there has only ever been one piece of wisdom literature that I have read consistently – that being the Bible.
But recently, after living on this earth for over five decades, I decided that I should expand my horizons and embark upon a journey that would begin to expose myself to many of the pieces of wisdom literature that find their roots in some of the other major world religions. At present I’m in the midst of this wonderful adventure.
Now in doing so I have not been, nor intend to be, converted from Christianity, and yet I am gaining a far better understanding of my fellow spiritual travellers on planet earth.
When I was a young adult I used my Christian belief to inflict argument and shock on those who didn’t believe what I believed. The fruit of such a strategy did not last. Recently, in a prominent social media outlet I have witnessed those who call themselves Christians inflicting that same strategy on that social environment – and all it has created is a slinging match of opinions fired by anger between grown adults. To be honest, I have seen greater maturity in a schoolyard.

All You Need Is Love

My response to such a scenario is simply what the Fab Four told us years ago – ‘All you need is love…’
Anger solves nothing. Argument resolves nothing. Love is the only force that can be of any lasting effect.
I may not agree with your beliefs, your religion, your wisdom literature, your interpretation of that literature, nor your customs – but I can love and respect you as a fellow spiritual being in a human body.
If you allow me I will even pray that you prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers.
I will even lay hands on your sick, if you allow me, for I have tasted the miraculous. But only ever with your permission.
I will listen to you, and even share with you if you invite me to.
Above all else I will first seek to understand.
My faith is a faith of action – for without applied works accompanying my faith it is completely and utterly useless. So I forgive. I reconcile. I give what I have to feed the hungry. I give help to the poor. I share the wisdom that I have learnt from a lifetime of experience – as the opportunity arises and as it deems fitting.
But most of what I do is done in secret – for that is, as I understand it, the nature of true spiritual giving.

Whom Do I Trust?

Personally, I trust in the Creator – just as did my old friend Ralph Waldo Emerson…
‘Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go, he’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil!

No comments:

Post a Comment