Tuesday 28 February 2012

4 Ways To Transform Your Disappointments Into Stupendous Success


‘Men’s best successes come after their disappointments.’ Henry Ward Beecher
First, before I write anything more, I need to make certain that you understand the word ‘stupendous’ that I have used in my title.
Stupendous means ‘extremely impressive’. So now with that cleared up, let’s move on with the article.
Here are the 4 ways that you can transform your disappointments into stupendous success…

1. Get Disappointed

We don’t live in a perfect world. It comes with disappointments.
When it comes to goal setting, it has been said that we often over-estimate what we can achieve in 12 months, but bitterly under-estimate what we can achieve in the next 5 to 10 years.
So there are going to be disappointments along the way.
Deal with other humans and you’re definitely going to be disappointed. I have been in business long enough to know that people lie, they tell half-truths, and they let you down. It’s a fact.
But don’t let it depress you. Don’t let it derail you. Just get disappointed. Cry if you like. But get over it and get on with it.
It’s okay to be disappointed, but you have not been appointed to stay in disappointment valley. Sorry to disappoint you – but your next mountain awaits you.
While ever there is life there is hope.
If you’re disappointed – the good news is that you’re not dead, for dead people don’t ever get disappointed and the graveyard is the only place on earth where disappointment doesn’t abide.

2. Get Mad

That’s right. Get mad. Not at people. Not at yourself.
Get mad at the disappointment. Get mad at the less than pleasing result or outcome.
Go somewhere – away from the crowd – and let off some steam. Scream your lungs out if you wish. Express your frustration, but not at anyone else’s expense. If you have a ‘faith’ bone in your body – then cry out to God.
Whenever I have faced disappointment I have said the following – ‘Eat my dust!’ or ‘Just you wait!’ or ‘Watch this space!’ or in the memorable words of the terminator – ‘I’ll be back!’
At times I may take myself, and my disappointment, for a long walk beside the ocean. I might even go and chop wood or dig my garden. I might even write a magnificent article that inspires others to deal with their disappointments.
In fact some of my most popular writings have been written at some of my most disappointing moments.
Even one of my bestselling books was written after my latest offering had been rejected – simply because I got mad.

3. Get Smart

Okay. So you’ve cooled down. You’ve off-laid some of your heated emotions. You’ve got it off your chest. You’re not mad at the world or yourself.
This is the time to now get smart.
Ask yourself these questions:
• What can I learn from this disappointment?
• Is there something I need to change?
• Did I have unrealistic expectations?
• Did I put my faith in the wrong team, or did I in fact not give clear enough instructions?
• Have I misunderstood the needs of my market?
• What can I do to improve?
• How can I position myself so that the next time around I am not disappointed?
Once you get your answers then get going.

4. Get Going

After receiving my first $100,000 check for my first ever self-published book, I poured my energies into writing my second. When I presented it to my potential buyers it was rejected.
I remember receiving the rejection call on my phone as I sat in my car, and I remember my response. I spoke out loud – ‘So you rejected me hey. Well you just watch. I’ll write another book and you won’t reject that.’
So that’s what I did, and my third offering provided me with yet another large check.
So that’s what you do when disappointment darkens your door – and it will.
You get going. You go again. You learn from past mistakes and get up and go again and again and again and again.
Ultimately you end up treating disappointments like fleabites – part of the process of building a successful life.
Personally, I have learnt to love rejection, because it is rejection, not acceptance that has always made me stronger and more resilient – all the way to stupendous success.

No comments:

Post a Comment