Monday 27 February 2012

How To Experience The True Joy Of Life


‘This is the true joy of life: being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a great one, being a force of nature instead of a selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.’ George Bernard Shaw
Life was created to be enjoyed. That’s why it’s called life. But how do you experience the true joy of life?
The great playwright George Bernard Shaw provides us with some insight into the matter. So let’s take a closer look.

1. Be Used Up For A Greater Personal Purpose

The first question each of us needs to ask ourselves is this: For what great personal purpose have I been born?
Now if you have difficulty in answering such a deep question, then try answering these:
  • What are my strengths?
  • What comes naturally to me?
  • What do I love doing?
  • If time and money weren’t a priority, what would I find myself spending the bulk of my time doing?
  • What do I dream of?
  • What do others say I am good at?
If you can answer those questions honestly, as you look at yourself eyeball to eyeball in the mirror, then you are definitely getting close to the truth of discovering the ‘purpose recognized by yourself as a great one’.
Now you still may need to undertake an apprenticeship in your chosen fields of endeavor. But with practice watch your skills grow in line with your passion.
Personally, I have always wanted to be a writer – but it has taken decades for me to refine my talents in those areas, to be published, and even now I feel as though I’m just beginning.
With people from over 150 nations reading this blog, and three self-published books under my belt it’s a good start – but there’s still so much more to explore in the days ahead.
More improvement. More refinement. More influence. More success.

2. Be A Force Of Nature

I have this cool app on my iPhone that tracks by radar the weather patterns around where I live.
The other night I watched this force of nature head from the south straight towards us on my iPhone.
Now red means extreme storms and white light rain. Well there was a lot of red in what I was watching on my phone’s screen, and sure enough when it hit our place it was a powerful force of nature that passed quickly and continued on its disturbing journey in a north easterly direction out to sea.
Passion, and by tapping into your passion, transforms you from the ordinary into the extraordinary – a force of nature.
Don’t settle for. Don’t do mediocre. Pursue your passion. Only accept excellence. Be unique. Swim upstream. Dare to be different. Be a force for good in a world that is desperately crying out for leaders.

3. Don’t Look To The World For Happiness

Nobody else can provide you with happiness. Marriages built upon the premise that ‘it is only a good marriage if my partner makes me happy’ won’t last.
You be the one making other people happy. You bring the joy. You supply the laughter. You walk the extra mile. You be the giver. You be the deliverer. You smile. You take responsibility. You seek to benefit others.
If you begin to live like this you will never be able to outrun the flood of happiness that will flow over and into your life for all your days.

No comments:

Post a Comment