Tuesday 28 February 2012

3 Ways To Judge Your Own Life


‘Men are not to be judged by their looks, habits and appearances, but by the character of their lives and conversation, and by their works.’ Roger L’Estrange
The good book warns us to ‘judge not lest we be judged’.
But that is in reference to judging other people. But may I suggest that we need, from time to time, to stand in front of our own personal mirror and judge our own lives.
By scrutinizing our own lives, we do not need to be concerned with what others think – for the facts are that most don’t – think that is.
So let’s take a closer look at these three judgments.

1. Judge The Character Of Your Life

I love one definition of character, for it is ‘doing what’s right when nobody’s looking’.
All of us are flawed. All of us make mistakes. But all of us have the opportunity of choosing between that which is right and that which is wrong. Yet how is that defined?
Well it has been my experience that inbuilt into the fabric of humanity there is such a thing as a conscience. No matter what culture we are born into there is a niggling internal voice that guides and directs each one of us.
As a Christian I have a book to go along with my conscience – the words of which shape and mold my mind and my heart.
Yet from my global travels there appears to be a universal law guiding the mass of humanity. Some, by their own free choice, or by the influence of their mentors, choose to shut down their conscience or believe a lie – but no man or woman can blame another – for we are all individually responsible for the character of our lives.

2. Judge the Character Of Your Conversation

I am responsible for every single word that passes my lips. Inherent in my tongue are two deposits that I can draw upon. One is death, and the other is life.
Personally, I choose words that will form the best foundation for my future. I choose words that only speak of life, and through consistent and insistent practice I have learnt to guide mytongue in a fashion that on the whole only distributes life.
If for some reason death is issued at any time I seek to extinguish it before its flames ignite a bushfire of destructive proportion.
Vigilance is require, for at any time a spark can be lit if I slacken my hold on the distribution of words.

3. Judge The Character Of Your Works

The term, ‘actions speak louder than words’ is so true.
Don’t tell me what you will do. Show me what you can do.
This is about fulfilling your word. This is about being trustworthy and reliable – where your word is your honor. And if you cannot fulfill what you have promised, then by honestly revealing this then your character is kept in tact.
Here are some questions to ask yourself:
  • Does what I do exude a spirit of excellence and a spirit of generosity?
  • Do my works reflect my beliefs?
  • Do my words line up with my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment